For our readers looking for some entertaining Nollywood (Nigeria, second largest film producing industry in the world) and possibly Gollywood (Ghana) movies this holiday season, here are our top five online destinations to enjoy Nollywood films, hassle free and with limited commercials.
1. NDANI TV – Usually not a movie destination, Ndani TV, powered by Guaranty Trust Bank, deviates from its typical offerings to partner with the Award winning filmmaker Kunle Afolayan to bring you his award winning film “The Figurine.” The user experience on Ndani TV is completely hassle free, and the film is one of the stronger films we have seen out of Nollywood, in a while. Expect a short advertisement by Guaranty Trust Bank urging you to bank with them. After that, sit back and enjoy the film.
2. IBAKA TV – A platform for Nollywood English and Yoruba films, all you do is click on the choice of films, and begin watching. The website’s aesthetics, its ease of use and the limited commercials in its movies makes the user experience relatively pain free. Ibaka Tv can also be found on You Tube if you prefer you watch your movies there.
3. TV NOLLY– TV Nolly is hosted on the You Tube platform. You get to choose your choice of advertisement (one 31seconds ad or several ads). Then it is an easy breezy time watching your films, after your ads play. We recommend their new releases section as the films there have stronger story lines and are overall well executed.
4. REAL NOLLY MOVIES – This platform is set up more like TV NOLLY but it has a bit more of an expansive catalog. It follows the same process as TV Nolly.
5. REEL AFRICAN MOVIES – This platform offers movies from some of the best filmmakers out of Ghana, albeit other African countries are included. The user experience is really seamless and they have some strong offerings of movies that depict contemporary Africa. Our recommendations include: A Sting in a Tale, 6 Hours to Christmas, Life & Living It, Checkmate, The Perfect Picture (must watch), Scorned and Adam’s Apples.
There you have it! Enjoy and make it an African Cinema blockbuster experience this holiday season.
WOMAN OF THE MONTH: OBY NWAOGBE
Founded in 2007, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora and the continent. The magazine has its foundation in fashion and provides extensive coverage on African fashion inspired news stories.