Congratulations to Nigeria’s Jewel by Lisa, Maki Oh and Andrew Dosunmu who won awards at the just completed 2011 Africa Fashion Awards. The winners were announced at the highly anticipated Africa Fashion Awards, which concluded the runway show at Africa Fashion Week at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg, representing the strong emergence of a global African aesthetic along with potential global reach.
A rigorous selection for the Africa Fashion Awards were made by a judging panel of local and international leaders – including the likes of Editor at Large, Michael Roberts, WGNS’s Sarah Owen, Vogue.uk contributor editor Elisa Tudor, Shaun Borstock from In Pursuit of Luxury and author of New African Fashion, Helen Jennings – in various award categories with final judging having taken place during Africa Fashion Week.
· Model of the Year: Ajuma Nasanyana
· Designer of the Year (Africa) : Jewel By Lisa
· Designer of the Year (International) International: Ozwald Boateng
· Emerging Designer of the Year (Africa): Maki Oh
· Emerging Designer of the Year (International): Mimi Plange
· Accessories Designer of the Year: Maya Antoun
· Fashion Communicator of the Year: ifashion
· Outstanding Contribution to African Fashion: Bethann Hardison
· Outstanding Contribution to Make-Up Direction: Liz Van Der Merwe
· Outstanding Contribution to Hair Direction: Johnnie Sapong
· Outstanding Contribution to Fashion Styling: Jenny Andrew
· Outsanding Contibution to Fashion Photography: Andrew Dosunmu
Photo Credit: Simon Deiner / SDR Photo
WOMAN OF THE MONTH: YETUNDE “YETTY D” OGUNNUBI
Founded in 2007, Ladybrille® Magazine is a California based pioneer digital publication celebrating the brilliant woman in business and leadership, with an emphasis on the African woman in the diaspora and the continent. The magazine has its foundation in fashion and provides extensive coverage on African fashion inspired news stories.