The sixth annual She Rocks Awards rocked the House of Blues Anaheim on January 26, 2018. Hosted by the Women’s International Music Network (the WiMN), the gala celebration featured a star studded array of honorees that included Melissa Etheridge, Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson of The B-52s, Exene Cervenka of X and members of the pioneering all-female rock band Fanny, as well many other women from all corners of the music and audio industry.
Featured performers Command Sisters delivered an upbeat B-52s medley that had the house singing along. The evening also included the premiere of a new song by WiMN founder Laura B. Whitmore and recording artist Jenna Paone called, “Just a Girl,” along with a moving video that delivered a message encouraging girls to dream big. Laura B. Whitmore co-hosted along with Kat Corbett of LA radio station KROQ.
Other highlights included a fantastic performance of the Etheridge hit “Come to My Window” by Laura Clapp, and Olivia Rox’s rendition of the Pat Benatar anthem “Invincible.” Alaska Reid of Alyeska interpreted X’s hit “Breathless” with sultry abandon. Members of the pioneering rock band Fanny shared their new project, Fanny Walked the Earth, with a preview of their upcoming 2018 release.
The rousing finale brought together members of Fanny, The B-52s, Melissa Etheridge and performers Olivia Rox, Jenna Paone, Laura Clapp and Sabrina Lentini to deliver an inspired performance of “Respect.” The song, made famous by Aretha Franklin, but written by Otis Redding (whose daughter, Karla Redding-Andrews, was also honored during the event), was an energetic ending to a moving evening.
The full list of 2018 honorees includes:
• Pat Benatar, four-time GRAMMY® Award-winning artist
• Melissa Etheridge, Grammy® Award- and Academy® Award-winning artist
• The B-52s Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson, original members of one of the most
beloved party rock bands of all time
• Karla Redding-Andrews, Executive Director for The Otis Redding Foundation
• Exene Cervenka, vocalist for the iconic punk band, X
• Amberly Crouse-Knox, Senior Director, Creative and Business Development, BMG Production Music
• Jean Millington Adamian, June Millington, Brie Howard Darling, Patti Quatro Ericson and
Alice de Buhr of the pioneering all-female American rock band, Fanny
• Candace Stewart, Studio Manager, EastWest Studios in Hollywood
• Dawn Birr, Channel Manager for the Americas, Sennheiser Business Solutions
• Fabi Reyna, Founder and Editor of She Shreds Media
• Vanessa Mering, Marketing Manager, HARMAN Professional
• Kristy Porter, Guitar Center’s Director of Merchandising, General Accessories & Media
• Divinity Roxx, Bassist and solo artist
Whitmore reflected, “We were proud to formally recognize all the 2018 honorees at the She Rocks Awards. From manufacturers to musicians, our honorees span all corners of our industry. I felt truly humbled to be able to acknowledge their leadership and accomplishments. It was such a pleasure to join with them in this year’s celebration of women in music.”
Photo Credit: Brandon Daza for She Rocks