Dr. Robynne Chutkan joins Shawn Stevenson on The Model Health Show to discuss the hidden causes Of digestive issues & the bloat cure. Dr. Robynne Chutkanis a renowned integrative gastroenterologist, best-selling author, and microbiome expert. Dr. Chutkan received her Bachelor’s degree from Yale University in 1987 and her medical degree from Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1991. She did her internship and residency in internal medicine at Columbia and also served as Chief Resident. After completing her fellowship in Gastroenterology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York in 1997, she joined the faculty in the Gastroenterology division at Georgetown Hospital in Washington DC.
In 2004 Dr Chutkan founded the Digestive Center for Women (DCW), an integrative practice that includes nutritional consultation, stress-reducing techniques such as massage therapy, biofeedback and counselling, and exercise physiology. The philosophy behind DCW is Dr Chutkan’s fervent belief that diagnosis and treatment are best delivered in an integrative setting, where attention to diet, proper nutrition and lifestyle choices are taken into consideration, along with the specific gastrointestinal disease process. In addition to digestive disorders in women, her clinical areas of interest include inflammatory bowel diseases, video capsule endoscopy, diet, and nutrition and weight loss. Washingtonian magazine has consistently named her one of the top doctors in her field and she was also selected by the magazine as one of the 25 most beautiful Washingtonians. She has also been featured on numerous prestigious media platforms including NPR, The Today Show, CBS, and Dr. Oz.
On this episode you will learn:
* Why the topic of bloating needs a greater focus by the medical and health community.
* How I personally struggled with bloating.
* The surprising way that conventional treatment of acid reflux can damage digestive health.
*What your body’s microbiome represents.
* How antibiotic use can lead to significant digestive problems.
* The action steps you need to take if your doctor ever recommends antibiotics.
* Why alcohol consumption might be playing a role in your digestive health.
* How dairy products can lead to bloating.
* The interesting difference between the male and female digestive systems.
* How the menstrual cycle can affect digestion and bloating.
* Why being in an improper pooping position can cause digestive distress and bloating.
* The role that water plays in proper digestion.
* Why yeast organisms can be healthy, benign, or problematic.
* 8 What’s happening with the rates of colitis and Crohn’s disease.
* How antibiotic use is it linked to autoimmune diseases.
* How the hygiene hypothesis has influenced healthy human bacteria populations.
* What molecular mimicry is and how it’s connected to an autoimmune disease.
* How stress can lead to bloating and digestive problems.
*What essential role your gallbladder plays in digestive health.